I recently added a new team member to my web solutions business.I followed the below steps to ensure that I have the perfect person, which I would like to share with you.
Letting everyone know
1. Place an ad for the position
2. Let your circles and staff know about it – so they can refer anyone suitable they know
3. Mention it offline and online
1. Go though every single applicant – you never know what you may find or miss
2. Short list a few that you would like to interview
3. Send the first communication about, you are interested in interviewing them.
4. Observe their response (tone of response, time taken to respond, and language used)
5. Short list again, after your have received a response.
1. Prepare a set of questions to go over the interview.
2. Send them some pre tasks to do before the interview.
3. Always have a face to face or an audio interview – not though instant messing or email
4. Ensure that the candidate fully understands the role and tasks involved.
5. Ask them to recap and acknowledge the duties on the interview – this will give you indication on how comfortable they are and whether they understand the role.
1. Short list from the interviews that you have taken to the one that you would like to hire.
2. Invite them for a second interview – a more casual interview.
3. Discuss contracts, payments, and other terms and conditions.
4. If they agree, send the contract to sign
Don’t expect the new candidate to walk into your business and know everything, take some time out to educate them on your process, on the way you work, and the way your company operates.
1. Educate them
2. Train them
3. Observe them
4. Slowly start to give major tasks, and build the level of trust.
5. Let them be self managed
6. Have regular meetings and reassure them that they can ask you if unsure about anything.
Wish you all the best in finding the perfect candidate for your business or project.
Image by Flickr