With the web moving at the pace it is, at times it can be difficult to keep up with everything and at the same time run your business online and offline. You can easily get distracted or even throw in the towel. Most of the time you say you're going to do something but don't, and when you do have some free time you prolong it and put it to the bottom of the list to do. Is this laziness or we just can't be bothered to do certain stuff for our business.
We all face this sometimes, when we know we have to do something or we need to complete a certain task, but for no reason at all we just can’t seem to get started. What is it that is stopping us from carrying out important tasks for our business?
Examples of tasks to be done:
Setting up a website: we know we need one, everyone else around has got a website for their business, but we are still thinking whether we need or not, you would assume that every single business by now would have some sort of web presence.
Joining Networking sites: We know we need to join and start to promote our business online on networking sites, it doesn’t cost a dime, besides spending couple of minutes a day to post few lines. But we are still waiting for the right moment.
Buying New office Furniture: Everyone around us is telling us that the office furniture is outdated, and more or less not functioning, we have the funds, but can't find the time to buy some furniture.
In business we can easily start to become less active and lazy I guess, for numerous reasons which overall at the end affects YOUR business. I asked couple of local business owners who have been established for a while that "Why aren't you expanding your business further?"
I got a few mixed answers:
1. We are satisfied with what we have achieved, and do not want to work any harder, as we have a steady income.
2. We don't know how to expand further.
3. We have tried but our competition is too strong, which is blocking us from going further.
4. Don't know why?
Above four were the main types of answers I got, which shows a mixture of business that want to expand and go further, but don't know what process to follow, and on the other hand, some business are satisfied or don't know why they are not proceeding further.
Not being proactive in your business can put your business on to a halt, and a standstill, which will easily allow your competition to take over and most probably put you out of business. How can we ensure that we do not put our business to a standstill?
Below are some of the five points that I do to ensure I stay proactive and more or less don't become lazy and lack in productivity which will affect my overall business, which I want to share with you.
1. Firstly its all about having the right mind set, I don't look at business as a Job or a task that I have to do, I look at it as something that I enjoy and more or less is a hobby. This can be achieved if you choose the line of business that you seriously enjoy, love and have a passion for.
2. Set goals and action plans to achieve these goals, by having a clear focus on what you’re looking to achieve will ensure that you stay proactive and work towards achieving this. Every step you take any action you take you are working towards your goal.
3. Don't let things pile up, if you have something that needs to be completed, do it straight away, rather than prolonging it for another day or time. If I am given a task, I dairy it and take action on it straight away, most of the time this helps, as the task is fresh in the mind, and I don't forget about it.
4. Take frequent breaks and exercise, to keep the mind focus, I don't do this as often as I should be at the moment, but when I do take a break and get back to work, I am more focused, and also more eager to get the work completed, which improves my productivity.
5. Don't worry about the competition, I don't spend hours of my time looking at my competition and being curious on what they are up to, I focus on developing my business, and achieve what I want to achieve and invest my team in my business. Many of the times business spend huge amount of time surfing their competitors websites, investigating what they are doing, which is fine to a limit, as this time can also be spent building and working on new ways to improve your business.
Above are the 5 steps I ensure I follow which keeps me focused, proactive, and most importantly doesn't put my business on to stand still.
How do you make sure that you’re proactive, share your tips with me below.