Compared to available desktop editing programs, the YouTube video editor is not that advanced; it is simple. What makes it a powerful and useful tool is the fact that it’s integrated into the world’s most popular and largest video sharing site.
Here are some of the things you can do with the YouTube editor:
1. Combine multiple short clips you’ve uploaded into one longer video
2. Trim your video clips into a specified length
3. Add a soundtrack to your video from YouTube’s library
4. Add effects to clips
If you haven’t tried using the video editor yet, it’s about time you start getting creative!
How can you access the YouTube editor?
1. Login to YouTube using your account.
2. Click on your username on the upper-right of the screen.
3. Click “Video Manager” from the menu list.
4. Click “Video Editor”.
You can also access the editor by directly visiting http://www.youtube.com/editor
How do you use the video editor?
After accessing the video editor, you can now start editing your video.
Here are some easy-to-follow tips to get you started:
- Adding Clips
All clips uploaded to the video editor, and a selection of pre-approved enhancements and Creative Common licensed videos can be viewed in the “Media Picker” window.
To add a clip on your story board timeline, just click the plus (+) icon located on the upper-right side of the clip. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop clips on your timeline. You can add multiple clips to create one whole new video clip.
- Trimming Clips
After adding clips on your storyboard, you can then start trimming them.
To start, click on the clip that you want to trim from your timeline. You will now see two bars with horizontal lines attached to the left and right side of the video clip that you are editing. These bars indicate the beginning and end of the clip.
To edit the length of the clip, you just have to drag the bars to the left or to the right, depending whether you want to trim or extend your clip. As you drag the bars, you’ll see the duration of the clip get shorter or longer.
- Adding audio tracks to clips
You can add music to your video. Here’s how:
1. Display the audio options by clicking the tab with the music note icon on the Media Picker Window.
2. Browse the library for the audio of your choice.
3. Click the plus (+) icon on the audio track that you want to add it on your timeline. You may also drag and drop it.
Note: Audio tracks can’t be edited in the YouTube editor; you can’t extend or trim it in any way, it will play as is.
After customizing your video clip, you’re now ready to have your newly created video uploaded! Just click on the “Publish” button located on the Media Picker window and your video will be automatically uploaded. To share, copy the URL provided by the YouTube editor.
Image by FreeDigitalPhotos.net